Friday, October 5, 2007

Instant help for your stress

As a coach, I'm an advocate for people taking a big-picture view of their life. I want them to be able to envision themselves 3 years, 5 years, or more into the future, and then I can help them plan and follow a route to get them there.

But I also realize that there are many small obstacles that make the immediate moments in that journey difficult.

That's why I incorporate short-term, stress reduction methods, while proceeding along the long-term stress release path I set up with clients.

So, what's a fast, easy way to reduce stress? Aromatherapy bypasses your higher cognitive brain functions to trigger responses directly. That's why you'll sometimes smell something, feel a different way, and then try to figure out what it reminds you of. (As opposed to smelling something, figuring out what it relates to, and then feeling a different way.)

The first oil I recommend people try is called Peace & Calming - a very fitting name since it's formulated to result in that effect. Apply a drop to the occipital lobe (the bump on the back of your head where the spine enters the skull), the pulse points on the inside of your wrists, temples, and 3rd eye (between your eyebrows, above the bridge of your nose).

No comments: